Why Paying It Forward May Not Be Enough…
We’ve all heard the expression of “Paying it Forward”, which carries the idea of a random kindness with no attachment. It may do some good, but the anonymity carries a vacancy. What has real longevity is connection, community, and genuineness. “Paying it Back” has power to build relationships.
As a local business that prides itself on helping our neighbors to have cleaner, safer homes, we feel a community responsibility to do our part to educate our neighbors and support those who give back to us. October is NATIONAL FIRE PREVENTION MONTH, so it is important to know how we can practice fire safety in our homes and at our workplace, while supporting our community. What are common fire dangers, and how can we avoid them?
- NO WORKING SMOKE ALARMS. 3 OF 5 HOME FIRE DEATHS RESULT FROM NO ALARM.
- LESS THAN 50% OF HOMEOWNERS HAVE AN ESCAPE PLAN.
- CARBON MONOXIDE (CO) IS THE #1 CAUSE OF ACCIDENTAL POISONING IN THE U.S.
- LESS THAN 50% OF HOMEOWNERS HAVE CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS.
- 60% OF HOMEOWNERS DO NOT TEST THEIR ALARMS MONTHLY.
- THE #1 CAUSE OF HOME FIRE: UNATTENDED COOKING.
- INSTALL SMOKE ALARMS ON EVERY LEVEL OF YOUR HOME, INCLUDING INSIDE AND OUTSIDE BEDROOMS, KITCHENS, AND BASEMENTS.
- TEST ALARMS MONTHLY, REPLACING BATTERIES AS NECESSARY.
- HAVE A FIRE ESCAPE PLAN. PRACTICE 2 TIMES A YEAR. IT DOESN’T NEED TO BE ELABORATE. EDUCATE CHILDREN HOW TO SAFELY EXIT THE HOME.
- IF THERE IS A FIRE: GET OUT, STAY OUT, CALL FOR HELP.
- REPORT ELECTRICAL HAZARDS SUCH AS FAULTY OR BAD WIRING.
- DO NOT OVERLOAD OUTLETS OR CIRCUITS.
- DO NOT USE DAMAGED ELECTRICAL OUTLETS OR CORDS.
- ENSURE PROPER STORAGE OF FLAMMABLE MATERIALS.
- KEEP COMBUSTIBLES AWAY FROM ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT.
The best way to practice fire safety is to take seriously the responsibility to keep our homes, families, and communities safe from hazards. But more than that, we can support those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe in times of emergency. Pay it Back to those volunteering their time for us. To quote LOWER MILFORD FIRE COMPANY, “We’re neighbors helping neighbors.”
Even the smallest donations can make a difference. Support your local fire company.