Mold is a fungus which grows and thrives in moist environments. Mold may take on various colors, which signify various types or stages of growth. In all its forms, it becomes dangerous when inhaled or ingested. It simultaneously grows on and decomposes organic matter.

Mold, especially black mold in particular, forms in your home in the presence of prolonged moisture. This can be anything from a poorly ventilated kitchen or bath, a pipe leak, or an extreme event producing water damage. Noteworthy too would be organic materials which may hold on to moisture such as expired food, old books or newspapers or other organic materials, like leather, wood, and straw.

While airborne spores have not necessarily been substantiated as dangerous to immediate health, many find black mold to be the cause of, at the very least, an allergen response, being as it were, your body’s first line of defense. Allergic responses would include, but not be limited to, coughing, sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, nasal congestion, sore throat, and rashes. In some, this can even lead to an extreme asthmatic response, which can become an emergency. More than that, those with compromised immune systems are especially susceptible to symptoms and are at risk of fungal infections. In a post-pandemic world where nearly all of us have felt the effects of COVID-19, removing allergens and lung irritants is imperative, as many have developed lung and/or breathing issues. Where mold once posed no real threat may now be an entirely different ballgame.

While this foul-smelling fungus may seem imposing, it is easily treatable and requires minimal effort and expense to remove, provided it has not grown out of control (larger than 10 square feet), or is out of sight, in which case, professional remediation is a must. For manageable remediation, safety is imperative. It is noteworthy to remember that while removing black mold is simple, it does become more airborne, and thus poses a serious allergen to eyes, ears, nose, throat, and skin. Therefore, PPE is required, even if using the most natural solvents to remove.

You will need:

  • Protective Eyewear
  • Gloves
  • Mask
  • Clothing that can be sanitized or disposed
  • Rubber shoes that can be disinfected

Mold is classically known for its musty smell and clustered, spotted appearance, but can also appear as red or pink (generally in bathrooms). As you remove the mold, you will need plenty of ventilation as it becomes airborne, especially when applying solvents. Remove and throw away anything which can not be cleaned. And of course, before you expend time and energy cleaning, be sure you have first addressed that which has sourced the black mold (water leak, dampness, damage).

Effective treatments include:

  • Tea Tree Oil and Water Solution
  • Vinegar and Baking Soda Solution
  • Bleach and Water Solution
  • Hydrogen Peroxide and Water Solution


Preventing mold is never absolute, but helpful measures would include having good ventilation, especially in baths, laundry, and kitchens, limiting the overall humidity in your home to 50%, by means of a dehumidifier if necessary, as well as dealing with any water issue, leak, or flooding PROMPTLY.

Keeping your home clean and dry both inside and out and keeping gutters clean will limit the moisture and mold potential. Keeping your home’s exterior mold and fungus free can also assist by decreasing the amount of airborne spores that may enter from your home’s central air unit or via window and door.

Being sure to address the source of any mold or fungus that can affect your home may take time, energy, and money, but it will be far worth the effort to keep your home and your family healthy, preventing costly remodels, remediation, and remedies.

Pollen’s Profligacy

How to keep this ostentatious allergen where it belongs.

Just the hint of a warm breeze has us thrusting open our windows, welcoming Spring into our homes. Unfortunately, this includes pollen. That conspicuous golden-chartreuse haze begins to envelop the landscape. But why is this powdery grain more than just a seasonal nuisance, and why should you promptly remove it from your home?

Pollen is the microscopic means by which plants and trees reproduce, being carried by the wind during Spring, Summer, and Autumn. While certain types of pollen are absolutely essential to the life and health of bees, it presents an entirely different proposition for humans. People are allergic to pollen because the body produces an immune response of histamine to the tiny pollen grains that the wind carries to one’s eyes, nose, and lungs. Extreme weather patterns with high winds have increased the pollen allergen potential. This allergic reaction, known as “Pollenosis”, manifests itself in sneezing, stuffy nose, and watery eyes. In extreme cases this can result in “allergic conjunctivitis”, manifested by red, watery, or itchy eyes.

Keeping Pollen Where It Belongs:

  1. Wearing a pollen mask outside when performing outdoor chores minimizes allergic response.
  2. Vacuum floors regularly, even multiple times a week while pollen levels are high; wipe surfaces with a damp cloth to trap pollen, not spread it around.
  3. Wash bedding weekly in hot water. When working outdoors, remove shoes before or upon entry into home, and wash clothes immediately. Do not hang clothes or sheets outside to air dry, as they will become re-contaminated with pollen.
  4. Keep exterior of house clean, including windows, entryways, and walkways. Consider a professional house wash and window cleaning.
  5. Use indoor air conditioning when allergens are high. The A/C unit or Central Air will help to filter your breathable air.
  6. Nasal Irrigation flushes out allergens, reducing allergic response.

Why Consider A Professional to Remove Pollen From Your Home’s Exterior:

Eco-friendly soap is essential to power wash pollen off of your home. DIY pressure washing machines do not have the strength to reach higher peaks of your home, whereas this presents no problem for professional equipment. Professional Power Washing is an efficient, speedy process with a well-trained team, proper equipment, and efficient methods, usually completed in about an hour, in contrast with a DIY, which may take all day.

Promptly removing pollen from your home benefits curb appeal and improves your quality of life by reducing dust and allergens from your home’s exterior and interior, giving you peace of mind and a breath of fresh air.